Happy Summer, now that it’s officially began and our West Texas weather decided to celebrate with triple-digit temperatures… a good reason to stay inside and do a little reading and writing! This week I worked harder at jotting down reasons to be thankful each day as they came to me, and before long I had more than enough to share. It’s funny how easy it becomes when you start looking for your blessings instead of grumbling your way through life. Thoughts are every bit as powerful as words, and I am slowly learning to choose them more wisely!
Some of the many ways I am blessed and thankful:
1) My sister’s cancer surgery went well, and she’s been released from the hospital to continue recovery at home. Her pathology reports came back with no further evidence of cancer in her body, hallelujah! Her beloved senior dog Taffy was mighty glad to have her mama home again! 🙂
2) God giving me the strength and wisdom to stay out of personal conflicts that don’t involve me (most of the time), no matter how strong the urge is to add my two cents worth! I am not responsible for other people’s choices. (I have to keep reminding myself of that.)
3) Heart-warming communications with a couple of my beloved Rez kids (now grown-ups) who, much to my surprise, informed me that they still have the small stuffed animals I sent to them on their birthdays years ago. I am so thankful that we continue to be close after all these years, and I am able to watch them and pray for them as they navigate their adult lives. They are the grandchildren of my heart.
4) The amethyst pendant necklace Papa Bear bought for me when we went to a local farmers/vendors market last weekend. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love amethyst, it is not only my birthstone, it is the color my soul is drawn to.
5) That Papa Bear and I have very similar tastes and preferences in nearly everything (except politics 🙂 It makes it so easy to choose gifts for each other or items for the house, or even how we will spend our time together. Although our personalities are very different… he is social and outgoing and I am not, we both prefer a simple lifestyle and treasure our relationship. When I see couples that always seem to be unhappy with each other for one reason or another it makes me sad. Life is short, learn to respect each other and get along.
6) Finding a blank journal with a purple cover and a purple ink pen with purple ink that I had stashed away long ago. I am now able to bless the person who gave them to me and use them with pleasure instead of sadness over a friendship lost. Some people come into our lives for only a season, to teach us something important.
7) Positive interaction with a family member that has been absent in our lives for some time. It did all of our hearts good. Prayers being answered.
8) The Memories tab on Facebook that lets you look back at all the posts you’ve done on a specific day in years past. I’ve been sharing on Facebook for over ten years now, and it’s fun to go back and see what I was doing and what my thoughts were at the time. I love the vacation memories that pop up there too!
9) Books that speak to my heart and soul and lift me up to a higher level of understanding. I believe that books come into our lives and the right time much as people do, always a gift in some manner.
10) Returning to writing and the blogsphere, thanks to the TToT Anniversary Party. 🙂 It is easy to get out of the habit, but I always miss it when I am away. Now if someone could invent a streamlined process for commenting, I’d be delighted!
As always, I am so very thankful for the life I’ve been given, for all that I have learned along the way, and for all the amazing people I have come to know and love! Blessings to each of you in the days ahead… Look for reasons to be thankful in your life, and remember to be a blessing to someone else!
If you’ve never participated in the weekly Ten Things of Thankful blog hop, I encourage you to check it out. Read what others are feeling grateful for this week, and maybe add a post of your own (it doesn’t have to be ten things, any expression of gratitude is welcome!